Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day Fourteen - True Nature of Man

Okay, so I like red wine. Especially, the smokey oak flavor of a good Cabernet. So, take this for what it is worth. Maybe so, maybe not.

Tonight, I experienced the true nature of man. My oldest sister arrived in Baton Rouge this afternoon. We will travel to Mississippi to see my Dad this weekend.

My children, LOVE their aunt. Their love of their aunt is displayed in competition between them to show her who is good, better and best. So, tonight I experienced a reality that I have never fully defined.

My oldest, played the guitar with my youngest, who played the piano and sang. Then my middle son, sauntered into the living room and began displaying his expertise with the guitar. They each shared their own talents with an intense desire to be enveloped with total admiration. Isn't that what we all seek?

I believe the true nature of man is to be God. We want to be God. We want to be the center of attention. We want to be loved. We want to be the bestest, greatest, prettiest, skinnyest, youngest, strongest, successfullist, sexiest, smartest, spiritualist, famoustist and confidentist people in the universe. Often times, this shows up in the most interesting ways because we don't want to admit that about ourselves. It shows up in intense competition. Whatever our passions may be, usually they are self focused.

So, why are we so afraid to say it like it is? Why are we afraid to be vulnerable? Why am I dancing around this subject without actually selling it straight? I can tell you why. Because when we display our dirty laundry we become targets. I know because it has happened to me. The ability to display your dirty laundry comes with personal inner strength, which comes with extensive self-examination and/or mental institutionalization which maybe I need.

I've said some pretty crazy things in this post. Especially the use of words that won't show up in the dictionary. As you continue to read, you'll find out that I often make up words. They make sense to me, so I hope they will to you too! On that note, I shall retire.


© Copyright 2009 Janet Calcote Simmons All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. You don't need institutionalization, only those who don't do extensive self-examination do, but that is my humble opinion. lafm

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAFM: Thanks for your vote of confidence. With four kids and all the work I do around here, however; it would be nice for someone to take care of me for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete