Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day Thirty-six - Response from ASIJ - The pathway is broken

The pathway is broken
And the signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why you brought me here
But just because you love me the way that you do
I'm gonna walk through the valley
If you want me to

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 I received the following response from the ASIJ Administration:

Dear Janet,

I am deeply troubled by the shocking news in your letter. My first inkling of this matter was from a graduate from the 1970's who visited me on Tuesday, the day before your email. To have received your two separate notices within two days has certainly brought this matter to the center of my radar screen, and I intend to investigate this further. Know that this will receive serious attention from me. My first order of business will be to try to gather existing information about this matter. Since this all predates me, (I have been headmaster for two months), I will need to start from scratch with my investigation.

The fact that you have mentioned the possibility of retaining legal council causes met to measure my words. I would rather not do that, as I would like to help you to attain the healing that you seek. My inclination is to offer compassionate assistance. I would be happy to speak with you by telephone so please call me at school at..............

I don't remember - but evidently I spoke with the new headmaster sometime between October 22, 2003 and November 1, 2003.

On October 31, 2003 I had an appointment with the attorneys. Halloween. I was scared to death. I had never retained any attorney for anything. On my way to my appointment, with the dreaded file, I called my sister. One of the things I remember talking to her about was my fear that if we confronted him, Jack would commit suicide. I didn't want that on my hands. But, I also didn't want on my hands to possibility that other children were being abused by him. I remember driving down Perkins Road in Baton Rouge, arriving at the attorney's office. I went in with my 2 inch file and met with three attorneys for about an hour. After listening to my story, they proceeded to tell me that because of the International nature of the situation, they were unable to help me.

I really didn't know how to proceed.

Cause I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise you're not through with me yet
So if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will got through the fire
If you want me to..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment